Thursday, November 18, 2010

Redemption

There has been many stories written about Zach " Jungle Boy" Walters..I will tell a few of mine on this blog, and I have hundreds. We have shared struggle, Glory and defeat..I have watched him turn from a boy to a Man before my eyes...The night I knew that our partnership was touched by the hand of God..was long ago in the town of Tacoma Washington..We were fighting a rough guy by the name of Louis Lopez..We got booed into the ring, The crowd was nasty mean.The venue was a black dome. It was was appropriate for there was a black mood hoovering thick in the air..Everyone wanted to see Zach get beat up by their guy...We were way ahead and Zach got caught with a huge punch in round three..he beat the count and made it back to the corner...on sheer guts. We had one minute to get his bearings back " Jungle, listen to me kid..Just box this animal " I pleaded........Jungle replied  " I got to knock him out". I got chills all these years later just thinking about it. Round four bell rings and the Jungle Boy charges out to meet His destiny..Bang he hits him with a right hand that knocks Louis Lopez flat out...This is where I might lose some of the non believers..The ceiling of that joint turned bright white that night..and with it the crowd cheered louder than I ever remember hearing in my life before or since..I saw Zach lift his hand to the sky and move His lips..later I asked, " Who were you talking to"..Jungle Boy responded " God "...Zach God heard you that night..And has worked for you and with you in so many ways..even in your defeats..He holds your hand..and you have held mine dragging me sometimes reluctantly on the journey to my redemption..Thank you for all you have done for me..and continue to do.

1 comment:

  1. Very touching. Can't believe it has been almost a year since his retirement. I love the fact that he is still very much involved with you and all that you do Chuck. The boys look up to you and it is very apparent. It is great what you do for them. I know they are grateful to have you in their corner.

    ReplyDelete